Never heard of carob? You're not the only one! We're often get asked what it is so we wanted to give you some more information on this superfood ingredient that we use in our Peruvian Chocolate flavoured organic whey protein:)
Carob comes from Spain originally and is a delicious, chocolatey flavoured plant. Carob pods as seen above, grow on the carob tree (Ceratonia Siliqua) in tropical climates and can generate pods for up to 100 years! The trees are evergreen and flower - they are actually a member of the pea family! The pulp inside these pods is ground down and roasted into a fine powder and ends up similar looking to cacao powder but tastes much richer.
Interesting fact: Carob has been enjoyed for centuries by a variety of cultures including the ancient Egyptians. The word 'carat' (used to assess & weigh gold and diamonds), comes from the Arabic word for carob seeds. It's seeds have a very uniform size and weight so were ideal measuring tools!
We chose to use carob alongside our organic cacao in our Peruvian Chocolate flavour organic whey protein because of its rich, chocolatey taste to enhance the flavour and because of it's fantastic range of nutritional benefits including a high protein content! It really is an amazing superfood. Here is a summary of it's features:
- It is totally natural and ours, of course, is certified organic!
- It contains about 8% protein and is also a good source of fibre.
- Carob contains no caffeine or theobromine. Great if you are trying to avoid these stimulants.
- Carob has a great range of vitamins and minerals including B1 (contains as much as asparagus), Niacin, Vitamin A, Magnesium, Iron, Manganese, and Potassium.
- It has 3x more calcium than chocolate and yet 30% less calories and 17x less fat per gram.
We are also proud to say that our Peruvian Chocolate WHEY AHEAD® is used by our double gold Paralympic Champion and Brand Ambassador, Richard Whitehead MBE. Read some of our customers' reviews over on the product page.
Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, just shout!